Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's been a week for nostalgia.

As you may or may not know, my laptop--the dearly departed Gunter, may he rest in peace--left this plane of existence on December the 24th. This was a pretty cruel trick of fate, actually; he'd had his harddrive replaced in late October, and that rather expensive operation was supposed to be my Christmas gift. Luckily, I have the awesomest parents ever, and they deduced (as I had) that being an English major without regular access to Microsoft Word doesn't work very well. Thus, my pretty Satellite.

While I backed up my music about a month before Gunter's last breath, it was in a really abysmal state of disarray. Broken links, duplicates, duplicates that were broken links--it was bad. Thus, I'm fixing up Satellite's iTunes by hand. Which meant (after transferring purchases over) burning all my CDs by hand.

A lot of my old stuff is back at home and safely packed away, but I'd tossed a few poorly labeled mixes into my CD case before heading back. I listened through them while burning the 40+ CDs last night. Man, there was some good stuff in there! I'd forgotten how into Creed I was (okay, so, that's not so good--but it did really take me back), and that one song by Yellowcard I loved. Avril Lavigne, the Backstreet Boys, Sarah McLachlan, The Corrs, Santana, the Lord of the Rings soundtracks--I had truly eclectic taste. And while most of it is pretty banal (and/or pretty bad), it's still fun listening to the soundtrack of my formative years.


On another quasi-nostalgic note: going up to the 13th floor tonight to--for the second night in a row--watch iCarly with Stef. It's not good so much as amusing, in the vaguely wholesome, silly, simple way that Nickelodeon always was. It doesn't put stock in subtlety or subtexts, and that's kind of a relief, with all the reading I've been doing for my major lately.

And did I mention it's silly? Silly is not to be underrated. It can save lives.

0 comments: