Friday, March 20, 2009

Other things I am currently obsessed with, besides the aforementioned U. S. of Tara:

  • "Jolene" by Dolly Parton (surprising, given my ambivalent disdain for country);
  • Jane Kenyon;
  • Italo Calvino's The Baron in the Trees;
  • Italo Calvino's anything;
  • Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (on which I might be doing my thesis);
  • Big Love (HBO);
  • hummus;
  • my cats;
  • Le Magazine Litteraire (which I can only read with the help of the French dictionary which never leaves my side);
  • sensory perception;
  • holistic medicine;
  • memory/nostalgia.

Also, I want to write something. I had a poem tonight at the very cusp of existence, while I was outside with my sister in the trees, but I lost it by the time we'd come in. I think I'll go try to salvage what I can.



Dutch Interiors, Jane Kenyon

Christ has been done to death

in the cold reaches of northern Europe
a thousand thousand times.
Suddenly bread
and cheese appear on a plate
beside a gleaming pewter beaker of beer.

Now tell me that the Holy Ghost
does not reside in the play of light
on cutlery!

A Woman makes lace,
with a moist-eyed spaniel lying
at her small shapely feet.
Even the maid with the chamber pot
is here; the naughty, red-cheeked girl. . . .

And the merchant's wife, still
in her yellow dressing gown
at noon, dips her quill into India ink
with an air of cautious pleasure.

1 comments:

Sam said...

I am super-obsessed with Junot Díaz also. I'm not sure why. Probably because he is AWESOME.

But how does one make a thesis out of him?